home › napa
wineries › Far Niente
Founded by John Benson in 1885, Far Niente prospered until the onset of Prohibition in 1919, when the winery ceased operation and the buildings and estate were abandoned. Sixty years later, in 1979, Gil and Beth Nickel purchased the old stone shell of a winery and spent three years restoring the building to its original, 19th century grandeur. During restoration the name, "Far Niente," which romantically translated means "without a care," was found carved in stone on the front of the building. In 1998, Far Niente was reunited with its past when a bottle of 1886 Far Niente Sweet Muscat, intact with its original cork, capsule and label, was found in a wine cellar in Marin County, California. Now on the National Register of Historic Places, Far Niente produces critically acclaimed, estate bottled Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon wines that are renowned for their consistent house style and ability to evolve with extended age.
Address not available
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Sunday
- Offers tours by appointment - call/email
- Open by appointment - call/email
- Winery includes wine caves
- Winery property is historical landmark
- Seated tasting available
- Tasting available in private area
- Tasting fee
- Winery has gardens
- Winery practices sustainable agriculture/production
- Winery has unique architecture
- Indoor tasting area
Current Wine Varieties Produced
- Cabernet Sauvignon
Far Niente Wine Club
Wine clubs are a great way to stay connected to your favorite wineries.
To join Far Niente's wine club, visit their website or call them at 707-944-2861.
"Dolce Far Niente," the Italian phrase meaning, "It's sweet doing nothing," describes a way of enjoying life's passions, without a care. It is a phrase that embodies the spirit of the Far Niente, Dolce and Nickel & Nickel wineries.
We invite you to become a patron of the Dolce Far Niente Society, a club comprised of enthusiasts of the Far Niente family of wineries. It's our way of bringing a touch of Dolce Far Niente to you throughout the year.
The benefits of membership include:
- Four quarterly shipments, including three bottles of wine consisting of a combination of Far Niente, Dolce and/or Nickel & Nickel. The price is $230-$250 per shipment, plus delivery and tax where applicable.
- Shipments may include advance and current vintages, as well as offerings from the Far Niente Cave Collection library.
- A 20 percent discount on the additional purchase of the featured wines for 30 days after each shipment.
- A 15 percent discount on additional purchases of wine anytime from Far Niente, Dolce and Nickel & Nickel, in person or by phone.
- Complimentary VIP tours and tastings by appointment at the private Far Niente winery, as well as at Nickel & Nickel. Members may be joined by two guests for the tours and tastings.
- Invitations to exclusive, patron-only winery events and programs at Far Niente and Nickel & Nickel.
- A subscription to the quarterly Far Niente Family eNewsletter, which will keep you up-to-date on the latest news and events at the Far Niente, Nickel & Nickel and Dolce wineries.
Ask a winery associate to begin your membership either in person at the winery, or by calling Far Niente at 800-FN-DOLCE (800-363-6523).
Tasting Room Size
Tasting Room Atmosphere
Guided tours and tastings are offered several times each day, by appointment. Tours begin with a walk through the historic, tri-level winery, which is built into the surrounding hillside. Guests are then led through a portion of the 40,000 square-foot Far Niente wine aging caves, which were the first modern wine caves built in North America when excavation began in 1980. The tour concludes with a visit to the Carriage House, home to a fascinating collection of classic automobiles.
Music in Tasting
Tastings follow each tour and feature the current releases of Far Niente estate wines, including a Napa Valley Chardonnay and Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon, as well as carefully aged Chardonnay and Cabernet from the Far Niente Cave Collection. A seasonal cheese pairing is also featured. Each tasting ends with a taste of Dolce, the sumptuous, late harvest wine produced by Far Niente’s sister winery, also called Dolce.
Classical, Light, Jazz
from Tasting Room:
We are on the west side of Napa Valley and have a lovely view of the east side.
Wine tasting with cheese pairing.
Premiere Napa Valley
Once a year the rarest new Napa Valley wines become available under one roof at Premiere Napa Valley. Wineries throughout the Napa Valley are given one task to participate: create a one-of-a-kind wine for this event to be purchased by one lucky bidder. This event is only open to select members of the wine trade and the successful bidder is the sole owner of this unique wine.
Premiere Napa Valley 2013
Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
Release Date: March - 2014
To purchase this wine or check on availability contact: