Great Wine Capitals Global Network: A World of Excellence
The Great Wine Capitals Global Network is a network of nine major global cities in both the northern and southern hemispheres, which share a key economic and cultural asset: their internationally renowned wine regions.
It is the only such network to encompass the so-called 'Old' and 'New' worlds of wine, and exists to encourage travel, education and business exchange between the internationally-renowned centres of Bordeaux, Cape Town, Christchurch | South Island, Florence, Mainz | Rheinhessen, Mendoza, Porto, Bilbao | Rioja and San Francisco | Napa Valley.
Since its creation in 1999, the Network has introduced:
- A prestigious annual competition; the 'Best Of Wine Tourism' awards.
This International competition is designed to reward the wineries in each member city that have distinguished themselves in terms of the excellence of their facilities in various categories from art and culture to sustainable wine tourism, and delivering quality experiences to the public. Since their inception, more than 360 properties have received an award from 2400 nominees.
- A business network with extensive training and information seminars, forums and tastings. Business facilities are also provided for visits between member cities.
- Symposiums of experts on investments in the wine sector and education initiatives in wine. These take place often at the annual general meetings, when conferences are held to debate and illuminate crucial issues that affect the wider world of wine.
- Technical and /or commercial exploratory trips to the member wine regions. Knowledge-sharing is a crucial part of the network, as is the idea that each city can benefit from the strengths of their neighbours in the network.
- A Great Wine Capitals Travel Network to facilitate travel between the regions, where travel agencies in each city develop custom-made food and wine itineraries. They are destination specialists in each city and are able to handle all travel requirements to and between the Great Wine Capitals.
The Great Wine Capitals aims to heighten the wine experience for everyone who visits these cities, and to help the cities themselves make the most of their extraordinary culture, heritage and geographical locations.
The Great Wine Capitals Global Network will soon be accepting entries for the 2013 "Best Of" Wine Toursim Awards. Applicant must be a member of at least one of the following organizations: a San Francisco or Napa County (American Canyon, Napa, Yountville, St. Helena or Calistoga) Chamber of Commerce, Visit Napa Valley, the Napa Valley Vintners, the San Francisco Convention and Visitors Bureau or the Golden Gate Restaurant Association.
To submit your entry online for the 2013 Best of Wine Tourism Awards, contact Emily Hegarty at Napa Valley Destination Council.